Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Celebrating Bandit

 P1010007 This morning we said good-bye to our dear friend and family member, Bandit.  She has been a treasured part of our family since 1997.  Before that she enjoyed herding doggy friends near the ranch she lived on.  Earl and I bought our house in 1997 and my sweet friend Anne convinced me we needed a dog (this dog!) to make it a home.  She was right of course!  Bandit was about 5 or 6 when she came to live with us.  She loved going for long walks, sitting on our couch, chairs and bed, and most of all, playing ball or catch for hours on end.  She was a kind and loving companion to all of us, a great mentor and big sister to Riley and numerous kitties, and incredibly patient with Emma and Parker as they grew and learned about doggies.  She had an endless supply of love and pretended to be a great watchdog.  She was a big fan of steak bones, belly rubs, cookies, cats and cat food!  When she could she liked to wander around the neighborhood looking for new friends, she was so adventurous!  Even this last year with her tired legs she managed to get herself arrested and was able to wander to the creek about a mile away to meet one last new friend.  We are taking comfort in the thought that Bandit can now play catch endlessly again and herd new friends in heaven.  We'll miss her terribly.  Here are some of our memories of Bandit.

bluebonnets "Will I still have to do this when you have 2 leggeds?"

 

santa

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Honest Santa, I've been VERY, VERY good!"

     

 

action

 

 

An action shot - "I got it!"

 

 

 

loving my new puppy

 

"I love my new puppy (Riley)! She's a great new chew toy!"

 

big pillow

 

 

 

 

Sharing the pillow, sharing the love!

 

 

teaching Riley

 

 

 

         "Here's how you play catch young grasshopper"

 

 

alpha dog

 

 

 

 

This is what you call "alpha dog"

 

 

swimming

 

                 "Come on in, it's not that cold!"

  waiting for catch

 

 

 

"Look Bandit, I'm learning!"

bandit and riley

 

 

                                                Nearly equals.

waffles

 

 

 

 

Teaching Waffles how to "run with the Big Dogs!"

 

 

P1010318

 

                                  Snoozing with Bobalu!

 

 

 

 

 

P1010067

 

"It's hard work watching after the house all day!"

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Rest in peace, beautiful Bandit. You are a model for all of us on how to live well and to be loving and tolerant. We all will miss you.

Mandy and Paul said...

I'm so sorry. Bandit looks like the best dog. I'm sure she loved living with you, and I'm sure she will be dearly missed.

Lydia Fiedler said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I am so so sorry :(

She was adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know how much you will miss her

Unknown said...

Bandit was a phenomenal dog and I certainly enjoyed the time I got to spend with her. I am so very sorry for your loss.
Sandy S.

Anonymous said...

Jane,
I love the memorial to Bandit. What a great and loving family member she was for you all, and I know she was very aware of how much you all loved and cherished her in return. I am sure you have an unending supply of wonderful memories from the time you were blessed to have with her!